Wednesday, March 2, 2011

It's time!


After Fallon absentmindedly picked another (the fourth, I believe) huge hole in her cheek while sucking her thumb we decided we really needed to break that habit; not just because the dentist showed us how it was turning her teeth and pushing them out, but in order to save her face from disfigurement (Is that a word?). (I'm sure she'll thank us later.)


First we tried putting gloves on her hands. She didn't mind and even asked to wear them, but then I realized she was just pulling them over her thumb when she'd lie down to sleep! Hmm...


I duck taped them to her wrists.


I bought long elbow length "princess" gloves.


I duck taped those too.


Nothing seemed to work for longer than a week or two - and then a MIRACLE: my sister-in-law, Katie, sent me an email with the answer. It's called "Mavala STOP". It goes on like fingernail polish (A bonus for sure as far as a "beauty conscious" almost 4-year-old is concerned.) and tastes SO nasty that she hasn't put her thumb in her mouth since the first night we brushed it on! (Jan. 14.)


I haven't put it on her now for about a week and last night my heart dropped when I passed by her room and I heard that old familiar sucking sound. I rushed in to confirm my disappointment and was surprised to find her hands resting peacefully at her sides but her mouth instinctively "sucking" nothing. Old habits die hard.

5 comments:

  1. Hoorah! Your first post. I love it. I'm so glad your fears weren't comfirmed and she was sucking nothing.
    Love your profile write-up. You are one blessed and beautiful gal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all you help, Shar! And thanks for being my fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? I thought for sure you'd name this thing "Joofy."

    I, too, love your profile write-up. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy to read about your family on your very own blog! I haven't had a thumb sucker yet. I've always that they were so cute, but maybe not so cute when you're trying to get them to stop. I'm glad Fallon's adjusted well.

    ReplyDelete